Frequently asked questions
About the service
What is PressReader?
PressReader offers unlimited access to newspapers and magazines in an easy-to-use app available on every smartphone and tablet. Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon passengers get access to PressReader whenever they fly, either through the Cathay Pacific app up to 48 hours before their flight, or by visiting a Cathay Pacific lounge. Every passenger can download full versions of newspapers and magazines to their own device, and save them to read in-flight or after their journey.
Do I have access to PressReader?
Every Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon gets full access to PressReader’s entire library 48 hours before any valid flight booking. Any guest or traveller visiting a Cathay Pacific lounge can also access PressReader while they’re connected to the lounge’s WiFi network.
How long does my access period last?
Every passenger’s access period begins 48 hours before their Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon flight. Normally, you’ll have 24 hours to browse and save stories once you activate your access period. Marco Polo Club members get extended access to PressReader:
- Silver and Green members get two days of access.
- Gold members get three days of access.
- Diamond members get one full week of access.
Any guest or traveller visiting a Cathay Pacific lounge will have complete access to the entire PressReader catalogue for as long as they’re connected to the lounge’s WiFi network.
Can I access PressReader during my flight?
It’s always better to download any issues you may want to read before you board. That way, you’ll have quick, easy access to your newspapers and magazines while you’re flying.
How do I connect to PressReader?
There are two ways to access PressReader when flying with Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon.
- Use the Cathay Pacific app to activate your free access period up to 48 hours before a valid Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon flight.
- Download the PressReader app and connect to the WiFi network in a Cathay Pacific lounge. You’ll automatically get complete access to the PressReader platform.
Do I need the Cathay Pacific app to use PressReader?
Yes, unless you’re connecting to PressReader in a Cathay Pacific lounge. To activate your free access period, just follow the four simple steps below:
- Download the Cathay Pacific app
- Tap Retrieve booking do
- Sign in with your membership account or your booking reference
- Tap Manage booking
You’ll be able to activate your free access period up to 48 hours before your flight. Tap the illuminated green icon in the Cathay Pacific app to browse and download your favourite titles.
Does every passenger on my booking get access to PressReader?
Yes. In order to activate their access, each passenger should download the Cathay Pacific app on their own smartphone or tablet and log in using the same booking credentials. Every passenger listed in that profile will have a PressReader icon next to their name. Click that icon to activate the free access period for that passenger.
Can I use PressReader on any device?
You can get the PressReader app on any mobile device, including smartphones and tablets, and all major operating systems including iOS, Android, Windows, Amazon, Blackberry, and Mac. PressReader’s web platform is always available on laptops and other computers connected to the WiFi network in Cathay Pacific lounges.
Which app stores carry PressReader?
You’ll find PressReader in the Apple App Store, Google Play, Windows Store, Amazon, and Blackberry World.
How do I activate free access on my Android device?
>When you tap on the illuminated PressReader icon in the Cathay app, you’ll immediately be directed to the app store to download the PressReader app. Once the installation is complete, open the app directly from the app store to start your free access period. If you’ve closed the store, then return to the Cathay app and click on the illuminated icon once more. PressReader will open with a Cathay welcome message to let you know that you’re connected.
Where will I find the PressReader app for Android devices?
PressReader is available within mainland China on the Google Play store under the name “PressReader news”. This version has been made specifically for the Chinese market. The app is simply “PressReader” from everywhere else in the world. You can activate your free access period using either version of the app.
I’ve opened the PressReader app, but the content appears to be locked. How do I unlock the issues I want to read?
When you first open the PressReader app, you should see a Cathay Pacific welcome message, if not, you may not have connected successfully.
- If you’re trying to connect through the Cathay Pacific lounge WiFi network and you see padlock icons on a publication, check the coffee cup icon at the bottom right corner of your screen. It should be green. If it isn’t, you might need to reconnect to the lounge WiFi again. Visit the concierge desk if that doesn’t resolve the issue.
- If you’re trying to connect through the Cathay Pacific app and you see padlock icons on a publication, return to the Cathay Pacific app and tap on the illuminated PressReader icon next to your name in your booking confirmation. Remember, the icons will illuminate – letting you know you’re able to activate your free access period, 48 hours before your flight. If you’ve activated the free access period, but you still can’t view any issues in the PressReader app, send an email to email@example.com.
What does the displayed time indicate at the top of the welcome message?
The time displayed on the welcome message will let you know how much longer you can download titles to your device, courtesy of Cathay Pacific. It begins when you first connect your device by tapping on the illuminated PressReader icon in the Cathay app. After your free access period has ended, you can subscribe for complete access to the platform, or visit any of PressReader’s hotel and library partners to continue your complimentary service.
Downloading newspapers and magazines
How do I download newspapers and magazines to read in flight?
Once you’ve activated your free access period and you see the Cathay Pacific welcome screen in the PressReader app, you’re ready to start downloading.
When you’re ready, close the welcome screen, then tap on Publications to view the PressReader catalogue. Here, you can search for your favourite titles using the search bar and sort the list by category or language. Once you find a publication you’d like to download, click the download symbol.
If you want to see all of the publications you’ve downloaded, just tap Downloaded at the bottom of your screen.
How many issues can I download?
As many as you’d like.
How long can I keep the issues I download?
You can keep any issues you download on your smartphone or tablet during your free access period for as long as you’d like.
Can I download complete publications?
Yes. Full issues of your favourite magazines and newspapers are available on PressReader. You can read them in the original printed layout or in a text view mode designed for easy reading on a mobile device.
Which titles are available on PressReader?
Thousands of titles are available from all over the world. Use the PressReader app to browse the entire catalogue.
I’m looking for a specific newspaper or magazine, but I can’t find it on PressReader. Can I request that you add it to the platform?
Yes. If there’s something you’d like to see on PressReader that’s not there, send an email to the support team at firstname.lastname@example.org. PressReader works with publishers around the world, adding new ones to the platform every day and helping them reach readers like you. They’re always eager to connect with readers like you, so get in touch with your favourite newspaper or magazine publisher and let them know you’d like to see them on PressReader.
Why is the PressReader app asking me to pay for a title I want to download?
If you are prompted to pay for a title, you might not have connected successfully.
- If you’re trying to connect through the Cathay Pacific lounge WiFi network and you’re asked to pay for a download, check the coffee cup icon at the bottom right corner of your screen. It should be green. If it isn’t, you might need to reconnect to the lounge WiFi again. Visit the concierge desk if that doesn’t resolve the issue.
- If you’re trying to connect through the Cathay Pacific app and you’re asked to pay for a download, return to the Cathay Pacific app and tap on the illuminated PressReader icon next to your name in your booking confirmation. Remember, the icons will illuminate – letting you know you’re able to activate your free access period, 48 hours before your flight. If you’ve activated the free access period, but you still can’t view any issues in the PressReader app, send an email to the Cathay Pacific support team.
Making the most of your time on PressReader
Is PressReader mobile-friendly?
Yes. You can read most publications on PressReader in the original printed layout or in a text view mode designed for easy reading on a mobile device. In order to use the text view mode, just open any title from the publications list in the PressReader app. Then, select the Text View toggle at the bottom of your screen.
Why isn’t there a text view option for the publication I’m reading?
Some magazines on PressReader don’t have a text view option. It’s important that your reading experience is the best it can be, and some of those beautiful magazine layouts aren’t designed to be pulled apart. In full page view, you can pinch your fingers to zoom in and drag each page to make reading as easy and as comfortable as possible.
How many languages does PressReader support?
The PressReader app interface supports English, Traditional Chinese, Korean, French, Arabic, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Turkish. Content is available in more than 60 languages from around the world. You can also instantly translate some content into up to 18 languages, while you have an active internet connection.
Can I continue to use PressReader after my free access period ends?
Yes. To extend your experience on PressReader, you can subscribe for complete access to the platform from almost anywhere in the world. Or, you can visit any of PressReader’s hotel and library partners around the world to continue your complimentary service. You can find those locations at pressreader.com/hotspot/map.
Who can I contact if I have more questions?
If you have more questions about your access to PressReader, contact the Cathay Pacific mobile support team.